Kids Sledding, Tubing & Winter Vacation Activities
Budget-friendly – or even FREE – sledding and tubing in Summit County will keep kids of all ages (even the grown-up ones) busy!
Places like Frisco Adventure Park cater to families with differing interests with everything from sledding and tubing to entry-level ski lessons to cross-country skiing. All in bite-sized portions, with a cozy lodge for kids to warm up in between winter activities.
Many area ski resorts offer snow tubing lift tickets and rentals on their tubing parks.
Summit County is the perfect place for kids with boundless energy, there is so much kid-sized fun to be had! Winter offers a host of outdoor fun for the little ones, and after skiing and snowboarding, a favorite activity is to grab a tube and sled down the mountains. The Frisco Adventure Park tubing hill is a great place for kids to be kids and adults to be kids again! The hill features lengthy 1200-foot tubing lanes with lift service up the hill for tubing day or night under the lights. Tubing is is the perfect kids’ activity and fun for the whole family. There is also a full-service tubing hill at Copper Mountain and at Adventure Point in Keystone. High Country Tours offers a unique twist with a tubing and snowmobile tour combo for families. For most tubing hills kids need to be at least 36″ tall to participate. There are also old-fashioned, do-it-yourself sledding hills at Rainbow Park in Silverthorne and Carter Park in Breckenridge. Don’t forget your camera, you are going to want to capture all the fun and all the memories. And by the way, there’s lots to do besides sledding & tubing. Here is a list of surefire winter crowd-pleasers…
- Local Recreation Centers. The Breckenridge Rec Center has a huge indoor rock-climbing wall, many pools and a large, super-fun water slide, and lots more. This place is a dream for parents and kids alike. The Silverthorne Rec Center is more like a water park with four pools and a 140-foot spiral slide!
- Guided Snowmobile Tours. Explore the surrounding mountains on the back of a snowmobile! Local snowmobile tours will take you to scenic vistas in a rugged but comfortable ride, kids over 16 can usually ride their own machines.
- The Town of Silverthorne offers FREE nordic skiing and snowshoeing at the Silverthorne Nordic Center. There is also FREE ice skating at North Pond Park, FREE sledding at Rainbow Park in Silverthorne.
- Take the kids ice skating. Ice skating is available at the North Pond Skating Rink in Silverthorne and the Stephen C. West Ice Arena in Breckenridge. The ice arena is open year-round, offers skate rentals or go in and watch an adult hockey league game for free.
- Take in a unique dinner show with the whole family. Come and enjoy a sleigh ride, with a delicious dinner, and a live music show, followed by a cup of hot cocoa. An authentic Colorado experience with Two Below Zero that was rated #1 Sleigh Ride in America.
- Go for a winter horseback ride. Seeing the winter Colorado scenery on horseback is an experience that will not soon be forgotten. Winter horse back rides are for children 6 and up. Ride for a few hours or all day! Many good horse back ride tours are available!
- Summit Historical Society. Who said history isn’t fun? Teach your kids about Summit County’s rich history. The Historical Society also offers several different tours throughout the winter season. Also available in Summit County, explore Gold Mines, Walking Tours, Historical Museums, a Rotary Snowplow and Railroad Museum, and the Dillon Cemetery.
- Learn how to rip it up on the snowboard! Kids can develop their snowboard park and pipe skills in the Woodward training facility and on snow at Woodward’s award winning terrain parks in Copper Mountain. Camps and lessons are available.
- Top of the Mountain FUN. Even if you don’t ski or ride, you can still take in the breathtaking views from the top of Dercum Mountain in Keystone and grab a cup of hot chocolate at the Summit House or visit the Kidtopia Snow Fort. Keystone is the only Colorado ski resort with two high-speed gondolas.
- DESSERT. Everything is better with sugar. Mary’s Mountain Cookies serves delicious, homemade cookies from two Summit County locations, Blue Moon Bakery was voted “The Best Dessert & Bakery in Summit County.” Candy lovers can visit the Fuzziwig’s Candy Factory. The perfect place to get your sugar fix, it features over 500 varieties of candy and old-fashioned ice cream.
Click here to see all available kids activities in Summit County.